American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) has released data wherein they have shown continued growth in cosmetic procedures over the last year.
Data indicates a 2 per cent increase in cosmetic surgeries in 2017 over the year 2016. Data also indicate that more and more Americans are opting for new and innovative ways to shape their bodies, as minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures have increased nearly 200% since 2000.
According to ASPS, minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures grew at a slightly higher rate than surgical procedures in 2017. While three of the top-five surgical procedures focused on the body, the top minimally-invasive procedures focused on the face. The top 5 surgical procedures were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378 procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Liposuction (246,354 procedures, up 5 percent from 2016)
- Nose reshaping (218,924 procedures, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571 procedures, approximately the same as 2016)
- Tummy tuck (129,753 procedures, up 2 percent from 2016
If we look at the cosmetic minimally-invasive procedures for the year 2017, the top 5 were:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (7.23 million procedures, up 2 percent from 2016)
- Soft Tissue Fillers (2.69 million procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Chemical Peel (1.37 million procedures, up 1 percent since 2016)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Microdermabrasion (740,287 procedures, down 4% from 2016)
Data also shows there has been a dramatic increase in breast reduction procedures in the year 2017 with as much as 11 per cent increase over last year.
Tummy tucks, which dropped from the top five most popular cosmetic surgical procedures in 2016, have rebounded their way back into the top five in 2017. There were over 2,000 more tummy tuck procedures in 2017 than there were in 2016.
According to statistics, more people are choosing to shape different parts of their bodies using ultrasound, radio frequency, infrared light, vacuum massage and injectable medication to reduce fat cells. Non-invasive procedures to eliminate fat and tighten the skin are gaining popularity, with the fastest growing procedure – cellulite treatments – up nearly 20 per cent over last year.